Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Is it me...

So today I went to a new restaurant. I think it is supposed to be a Greek restaurant, but I am not really sure. They did have fantastic hummus though, and I also had a really good falafel. However, my issue was with the service. And maybe, it's me.

First off, I am black. I am an average size, a little on the short side, Black female. With a very cute haircut. But I digress. At any rate, you have no doubt when you meet me of my ethnic northern African heritage. That part of the story, however, isn't that important yet. 

So I go to the restaurant and of course, when I get there, several individuals are in front of me. And three people behind me. I order my food to go (I have a lot of work right now) and as I am waiting I notice something. Everyone is getting their food in front of me. Now I am also vegetarian. How hard is it to make a falafel? I don't think it is that hard. Other people wanted elaborate things. I stood and waited for nearly 2o minutes (to me; probably more like 6 or 7 in reality) and I had to wonder, was it because I am Black?

That is a joke. I got my food, it was great. I am the person who is on their 3rd computer at work, after 3 months. I am the person for whom everything breaks. And I am almost always last to get my food order, even though I am vegetarian, even though I probably ordered a salad. It happens at my favorite restaurant. It happens everywhere. But knowing all this, I had a moment when I wondered if my lovely skin tone had anything to do with it. Am I programmed to think like that? 

1 comment:

Jonathan F said...

What was the name of the Restaurant?