Election season is in full swing, and I have even donated money to my candidate (a huge deal for a money strapped person such as myself). However, no one at work knows this except people with access to my facebook page or people who know me as a friend outside of work and with whom I have offhandedly mentioned my political leanings. And only if they pay close close attention.
I don't think it is a very good idea to mix politics and work. I heard when I arrived at my job that most of the people in my practice group are Republicans. I don't know this for a fact, but I did hear on the grapevine. I am not a die-hard democrat by any stretch of the imagination. And I really wasn't that worried. However, I made sure I never had the opportunity to find out. After hearing stories of associates brought to tears by partner's words, or drunken rages where people blamed the state of the world on democrats/republicans, I knew this was one minefield I should avoid. I am not the most passionate person about all of political issues views; I want a lot less taxes and am ambivalent about healthcare, I am deeply religious and like it when people are, but don't care enough to make them. But I am passionate about other issues, like civil rights and a woman's right to control her reproductive choices. I am not prepared to discuss these issues with someone who has input on whether I get a paycheck. And I would suggest the same for you.
Two summers ago I worked at a law firm and a young, good hearted summer employee who wasn't an attorney had the misfortune of hearing me discuss the war with another summer associate. When the war on Iraq was announced, I was in Cuba on a student visa. I said something to the effect of I was worried I coulnd't get home, and how the current administration is making a mockery of us in the international community, in front of this summer employee. He went into his office and drafted a firm wide email about how people in the office were not supporting the war and our troops, and how we have a duty given by God and a lot of other gibberish I couldn't read. I knew it was about me when he mentioned Cuba. Evidently he thought I was Cuban and he said some really rude comments about immigration, revealing his ignorance, bias, and bigotry. Even though he was fired, and even though I can trace my family all the way back to a slave boat several centuries ago and a boat from England just as far back, I was still very hurt by the immigration comments. And the response they received. After that incident, and a few others, I knew I could never work at that law firm.
I also had a small taste of the breadth of politics and the workplace in constitutional law class, where I read about public employees who were fired for campaigning in the office (or just outside it), and about a certain public transportation system that got into a lot of trouble for attempting to block a workers union from using their advertising facilities.
In the workplace, there are so many piles of you know what to step into when you discuss politics. Also, you have no idea what someone believes or who they are. It is very foolish to decide that because someone is a certain race or religion they believe a certain way. I have been surprised more than once at out-of-the office events, when a minority partner says some very un-minority-stereotypical things. And when a non-minority partner responds with something as un-stereotypical. I, of course, don't say anything. Politics are personal.
With the multifaceted issues that workplace politics creates, it is best to avoid politics where you work. Advice from a labor lawyer: don't discuss food, money, politics, or religion in polite company or at work.
No comments:
Post a Comment