Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hindsight Isn't Worth a Nickel

I believe that Florida and Michigan are learning the universal truth the hard way.

At some point in after 2004, Floridian and Michigan elected representatives got greedy. While I secretly think that Florida, the home of the ultimate hanging chad dibacle, was secretely trying to do the democrats in all along, I will keep that theory to myself and stick with the script. The elected officials wanted the limelight associated with choosing a president for themselves/their state, and felt that their legends of as motor city/spring-break gettaway destination were just not enough. They wanted to be the states where media flocked to catch a glimpse of a smiling candidate, flocked by children and spouse and adoring crowds, waving to the camera and tearfully clutching their victory to his/her breast.

Boy were they wrong. By resetting their primaries, the states violated Democratic party rules, and ended up with nada. They took a gamble and lost. And managed to disenfranchise democratic party voters in the process. The outrage should be greater than Ohio (I am from Ohio, and people the outrage was far too mild); for goodness sake the elected officials really really messed up. Instead, people blame Howard Dean.

A slight diversion into my Florida theory: Floridians are represented by a duly elected (I think so) Republican Govenor. And, said republican governor probably knows that the way for the Democratic party, his rival party, to win is for people to come out to vote who, well, are kinda iffy about those things. What greater way to convince people not to vote that for their vote not to count in the primary. Fosters the "don't care" mentality that many see as a defining characteristic of this lax group that the Democratic party really needs for support. Genius plan. I hope it doesn't work. But I digress...

And what of the candidate who defied party rules and campaigned in the states suffering from censure? Well, the inevitable first is second. Again, hindsight isn't worth a nickle!

To all politicians who wish to avoid the same fate for their represented voting populace: think before you act, weigh all possible consequences, and be responsible as an elected leader for the sufferage of your populace. You really can't have it all. Instead of money from overeager fans and media personell who need a place to sleep/food to eat/something to do before and after enthusiatic rallies and in between media blitzes added with money from a world famous auto show and spring break underaged drinkers, MI and FL got nothing. And Michigan really needs it.

The moral: Follow the rules, at least the posted ones.

No comments: