My summer as an intern at my law firm, as one of the firm acitivities, the summer interns went to the beautiful house of one of the then associates, who is now a partner, and somehow the discussion involving all women intern and associates turned to dating. Like who was dating who, and what drama dating created. It was enjoyable and funny, and reminded me why I like the group of people I work with so much (how often is it that you get to work with someone who was destined to be your best friend?). But it also made me worried about the possible intersection between dating and work.
It seems that quite a few associates (and partners?) have found love in the office. A lot of the cutest couples here started dating when they were both employed at the same place. And it has worked out for many. But there are also the horror stories, like associates who get caught in a compromising position with partners. Associates or partners who are married to other people caught in compromising positions. Stories about how female and male associates get ahead on their backs. And the list goes on. Furthermore, a rumor like this about a co-workers really makes the respect quotent take a dive. And makes people wonder if that individual is really competent at their job. When I was interviewing for summer intern positions in law school, I was repeatedly propositioned, and I do know that some students followed up on the numerous offers. I was, thankfully, very happily dating. I wonder, what would have happened if I did go back to the hotel room with the tall, brooding partner? Would anyone respect me now, if I had also chosen to work with someone who gave me a position because of how good I was in bed?
Right now, I am single, and I realize that with all the time and energy I put into work, I probably won't spend very much time with people I don't work with, even with my new vow to really try and get out there. And even if they don't work at the same office, most of the people I meet who have dating potential are people who I inadvertently work with or for. The rules are difficult for this whole work-with/date situation. And I know I don't want to deal with rumors. But I also really really want to be happy, and not close off the perhaps most valuable avenue for finding that special someone. Because dating a lawyer really isn't that bad, especially when you can share lawyer humor jokes ;) And, another lawyer will definitely understand my hectic up and down schedule, my frustration with strange things, and my passion for doing good and doing well.
No comments:
Post a Comment