Monday, May 19, 2008

Reminiscing on the Past... School Daze Style!

More than anything in the world, on Monday mornings when my alarm sounds at 6:30AM I want to be back in school. I never got up at 6:30AM for anything. I always thought that the 8:30AM classes were simply too early. But now I do it on a daily basis. I miss school.

I also miss the blissful ignorance that existed in my life when it came to bills. Somehow I was able to survive in law school almost entirely within a seven or eight block radius. I walked everywhere, only using my car for trips to the grocery store and to church on the Sabbath. I would buy gas once a month.  All I paid was rent, the phone bill, and my share of utilities split four ways.  Now, I buy gas every other week, and cry at the pump.  And I didn't know so many bills existed. Car insurance is a beast!

I miss the bliss of vacations. There is always a vacation at school. There is winter break, and fall break, and multiple days off for Thanksgiving, and a hefty break around Christmas. And there is spring break, the most wonderful of them all.  Now I always worked during the summer; no real break there.  In the working world there is a one day vacation. Yep, I got Thanksgiving off. I was working the next day.  I worked through Christmas. 

I received wise advice about enjoying my wonderful life as a student.  And I did. I relished in my exceptionally long vacations, and in my wonderful bill-less-ness. I did work all through school, but I realize now that it was intermittent, in spurts of no longer than three hours, and nothing like the multiple 12 hour days I do now. I also know that I am nostalgic, and remember my days as a college student through the rose colored lenses that time creates. 

But it would be nice, really nice, to go back, and appreciate the fact that I didn't have to set an alarm most days of the week. 

No comments: