Facebook is my ultimate past time. I constantly update my profile, status, and pictures to properly reflect my life. I think I am clever. I also think that I am making a name for myself.
Social networking sites have a lot of potential. Right now, it is becoming all the rage for companies to have a page on facebook. Several partners at my firm, who I wouldn't think to otherwise, have facebook pages. I wonder if it's marketing. But it is clever. People seem connected. And, as part of recruiting, I would review facebook pages of people I knew were being interviewed. Mostly to see if I knew them, to see if we had the same friends, and to see what kind of person they were. You can learn a lot from someone's pictures.
Because I know I have used them in the employment context, I never got to wild on social networking sites. I don't have pictures of myself upside down over a keg of beer. I don't have pictures of myself skinny dipping in the ocean. I do, however, have pictures of myself on vacation, with friends, and with whomever my current significant other happens to be. I think about what information I would like to share, and craft my profile to do just that. I want people to see me as a person, and get an accurate picture of who I am. If someone is turned off from me because of my linked in profile (my profile says I like to travel: who doesn't like to travel?), then they probably wouldn't like me anyway.
Even more than that, I use social networking sites to stay connected. It gives me something to talk about with friends I don't see that often, and allows me to share my life even with those I do. And I can't help but think that one day, these connections will come in handy, when I fulfill my life goals (more than just to be a pop-star/one hit wonder). Hopefully for every party involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment