Saturday, November 1, 2008

My "Historical" Perspective on the Current Election Drama

I am very proud to be American because of this election. For the first time in my life. If you don't like it, this is America, and I am exercising my First Amendment right.  But you can exercise your's, and be as proud of this economy going down the toilet place as you want, for as far back in its sordid and abusive past as you would like. I read by history book, and slavery, followed by colonization is an ugly thing. 

The first election I remember clearly is Bill Clinton's first term.  I remember sitting election night with my own map on the living room coffee table, a blue and red crayon beside the map.  I watched anxiously as election results came in, and felt very sad about being shooed to bed before California precincts were all in, even though the news heads, and I,  knew that Clinton had taken California.  

I remember my father announcing that he didn't trust Clinton, and how he had not voted. My mother sheepishly admitted she voted for Ross Perot.  I remember Perot as the first serious third-party presidential contender of our time.  And the most serious since.  However you feel about the Green party, or Libertarians, they have made a limited splash.  Around this time, my first clear election memory, I also had the realization that the biggest issue for non-Democrat/Republican candidates isn't just the third-party status but money.  Evidently money really does make the world go round, even in politics. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey great post, I feel the same way about this election. It's interesting to think these candidates are running for a job that pays 250,000 a year but spending hundreds of millions of dollars to get it.