Many people discourage mixing business and "pleasure." But I have personal history that has taught me otherwise. When I was in high school, I needed to sell these really awful noodles in order to raise money for a choir trip. I tried selling them to strangers, but no one seemed interested in multi-colored noodles that were shaped like musical instruments. Then I hit up the family connection. I sold over 20 boxes of $5.00 noodles, that happened to be inedible. My mother bought at least four. My grand mother too. I got to go on my choir trip.
Recent "research" shows that people like to do things or people who do things for them. People do things for people they like. In a study, people went into a room and took a test with a stranger. One individual was selling cookies, and asked their fellow test taker to purchase cookies. They received mediocre responses. Until they changed the plan; before the test was over, during a break, the individual who would be offering to sell cookies bought the other test taker a soda. After the end of the test, the individual again asked his or her fellow test-taker to buy cookies from them. The individuals asked after being bought a soda bought several times more cookies than the individuals who were just asked without being given anything.
Perceived relationship and history matters. And the more of it, and the more sense of obligation the better. So when you think of networking, and clients, think about opportunities around you, through family and friends, and don't be afraid to ask from those who love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment