Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Working Lady, not so Pretty Woman

Pretty Woman is one of my favorite movies of all time. Not for the lessons about money and power, which in reality are rather disturbing. I like it because of the idea, of a modern day prince. The last sequence of the movie, when Richard Gere climbs the fire escape and "rescues" Julia Roberts, that is the scene that makes the movie. 

Right now, I want to be rescued. But not from a career which, so far, is very interesting and provides the variance in life that I need. And not from a boring life; I really like my life, though it isn't nearly as exciting as I would have dreamed.  I just want to be rescued. I want someone to proclaim their love for me for some reason. The thing is, I don't really need to be rescued.  So I wonder if someone ever will climb a fire escape, or even stairs, to make some life changing declaration. I don't think that such a declaration exists. 

I feel like the fact that I'm not a woman who needs things makes it even more difficult. I break the feminine "mold" if you will; I violate the stereotype. I have no fantasy or illusion of a charmed stay-at-home life. It would drive me crazy. Having a job gives me something to do every day. And I like it. And I am not working for the moment to meet the rich guy who changes everything. I'm not working for the man.  I'm want to be man. 

But I still want to be in a relationship. A healthy relationship with someone who compliments me. Maybe I need an emotional rescue. An emotional meeting with my own version of Richard Gere. I guess only time will tell. 

No comments: