When I was in college, I went through a series of small crisis. I was at the end of my rope, and someone suggested seeing a mental health professional. I called my insurance company, and they told me that I had mental health coverage. Score! I love going to the doctor. I found a nice lady within a five mile radius to talk to. I went every week. It was so therapeutic. And I talked about things I never discussed with anyone before. I learned all about cognitive behavioral therapy, and my life greatly improved.
This experience turned out to be great practice. When I got to law school I developed a severe social anxiety. I had a panic attack in large groups and could not go to school functions. But I knew where to go to get help. And I did. I cannot tell you how valuable those skills I learned from my experience with anxiety have become for networking and job functions.
When I was in my third year in law school, I took a personality test that showed me that I was not cut out to be a lawyer. I was very annoyed, as I took it at a school sponsored event, so I called a very good guy friend to complain. He then sent me to a website with horrific information about lawyers: we are depressed drug addicts who die young. Yep, horrific. I can't remember the site, but then again, I don't want to ever go back.
So I realized that I might need to talk to someone regarding my mental health in a profession where nearly (or over, depending on the study) 50% of its practitioners suffer from some level of depression. As of yesterday I found a therapist, and I am enjoying a new cognitive therapy workbook.
Maybe you think that this is not for you. Maybe you think that you are fine. Maybe you are. But if you are a young workers, fresh out of college, or about to be that young worker fresh out of college, here are some things to consider. You are not invincible. And your life is about to change drastically. You will be asked to mature quickly, be responsible for a greater number of things than you thought existed, and learn to cope with new and challenging environments. You will have to learn to handle failure, because it is inevitable, and be graceful in defeat, a skill I don't think they are teaching in college anymore
And you will leave many of your friends and supporters behind, striking out to begin a new support system. You will have to learn to make new people like you. This is easier for some than for others. And even if you return home, things will be different.
Have you ever changed climates quickly and gotten sick? I know that for me, the spring time is my "illness" time. It's the change. Your mind is like your body. And no, I don't mean it is "sick" but I do mean that all the changes can be difficult to comprehend, and challenging to adapt to. And it is super helpful to have someone to talk to, to help you sort things out, and to develop behaviors that help you transition.
So take time for your mental health. Take time to make sure you are feeling, mentally and emotionally, your best, so that you can concentrate on meeting all those new challenges that life is throwing your way.
No comments:
Post a Comment