Friday, June 27, 2008

Does Money Matter for Love?

In law school, everyone seem obsessed with finding a man. I guess it was because they had been reading the literature. That says women are less likely to get married if they are professionals. So maybe their "pre-professional" state was a sort of last chance limbo.  I mean, people dated like it was going out of style. For me, ever the monogamous LT-relationship person, I found one "boyfriend" a year.  And I was the one moving on. 

But I found it hard to shake the fear that when I would graduate, dating would become a whole lot harder. Mostly because I make a lot of money, with a qualifier: for my age. I hope to be making a lot more in 10 years, as in double or triple. And that is the norm in some sense.

A friend of mine who blogs set it up nicely: fear of intimidation. I was taught by my mother that men like to be able to take care of you. But I don't need anyone to take care of me. I can definitely take care of him. So what is a girl to do? In law school I lied about being in law school; now my salary is all over the internet. Even if I wanted to lie, google makes it impossible. 

If only I was a man none of this would matter. In fact, it would help, because now I could really take care of her. I feel that salary expands a man's dating options (up until being a REALLY rich person; then he has to sort the real from the fake and it gets hard). I worry that it limits a woman's.  From fear of settling (a valentine's day article that told me to settle?) to fear of an imploding marriage because of money issues and unclear gender roles, I have it all. I guess it comes with the high salary?

No comments: